Monday, May 23, 2011

Our First Family Camping Trip of 2011

Me, Bob, the kids, Ra-Ra and Patti, left Thursday, the 19th,  to go to Concan, Texas! I had never been there before, but I knew it was right by Garner State Park, and I have wanted to go there for many years and float the Frio River, so I was excited.
We stayed in a cabin at a place called Frio Country and it was so beautiful. Anyway, I will recall the weekend the best that I can...

Thursday-We got on the road headed out west about 12 I guess. We stopped in Luling, Texas at BUC-EES, which is my favorite store. If you have never been to a BUC-EES, then you would not understand. If you have been to one, then you probably have the fever, yet when you think about it, you aren't sure as to WHY IN THE HELL you like the store so much, as it really isn't anything more than a convenient  store...that has tons of stuff, and this particular one has 49 toilets. LOL. Anyway, we kill about 45 minutes in the store and hit the road again, and not stopping again until we get to Uvalde. That is where we stopped at Wal-mart to get some groceries.
We get to the place we are going at around 7pm I guess. I was excited! Not only to be there, but also knowing there was a tv in the cabin and I was going to be able to watch the season finale of my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy....WRONG! The tv didn't work, I didn't have service on my phone to be able to try to watch it on youtube or something, but all was still good. It was actually really nice being somewhere away from here, and facebook, and texting, and so on. (however, I am glad to be back to my electronic life) We got everything unpacked and the kids could not wait to get to the water.

                                                                        The Cabin

The Frio was a little on the low side, but we just spent 6+ hours to get here, so we were going to have a blast anyway. We did find more water than this, but this was the first picture I took as I was walking down to the water with everybody.




                                                              going into the swimming hole
                                                             Dawson, Bob, and Keigan
                                                     My water baby. Well, One of them.




                                                               Keigan cooking sausage
Friday, May 20th-  Keigan and I were the first 2 people up, and she wanted to cook breakfast for everybody, so I let her. She made breakfast tacos and did not need very much help! (I think she has watched me do it a few times. haha) She also made coffee before waking everybody up. She is such a sweet little girl and sometimes I wish she would stay this age. Lord knows I am not ready for her to develop an attitude like her brother! LOL.

Later, after everybody ate and got motivated, we went and got our tubes and headed out in search of somewhere to float the day away. The people at the store that we went to to get the tubes and air them up told us of a good spot, but they were telling us that we were going to have to float the river backwards. Hmm. I was understanding what they were saying, but everybody else to seemed to be kind of lost as to what the hell the lady was telling us. Oh well, we headed off to the first crossing, just as we were told, and we put our tubes in the water on the north side of the crossing, and headed UP river. The water was not flowing fast at all, and we enjoyed our swim up the river. The kids were having the time of their life, playing in the cold, crystal clear water. They had goggles and they were catching little fish with a hand held net that Ra-Ra had brought. Once we reached a point that we would have had to have taken the tubes, raft, cooler and everything else, out of the water and walk a good bit, we just stopped and played a while before starting our journey back down river.









                                                        The end of the journey UP river






After being in the water for more than 5 hours we went back to the cabin to eat. Eating is always better in the woods, and I have never understood that, but I just love it! We were just about finished eating when a hummingbird decided to join us...by way of landing on Keigan's arm and trying to get "nectar" out of the polka dots on her swim shirt. It was funny, but crazy at the same time. I have NEVER seen a hummingbird  get so close to people, or even land on something long enough to stop flapping their wings, but this one did. More than just once or twice. This silly bird was with us for the rest of the day pretty much. After eating, of course the kids wanted to go back in the water, so we headed down to the first swimming hole from day 1. I stayed down there for a while, and then headed back to take a shower, leaving the kids with Bob and Ra-Ra. On my way back, the bird landed on me, and not knowing what it was, I flung it off, only for it  to return just a second later. It landed on me again and I took about 15 steps and it flew away, but didn't go far. It followed me all the way back to the camp, and would fly around every so often until we all went inside and went to bed. We never seen the bird again for the rest of the trip!


Saturday, May 21st- Today we headed over to Garner State Park. I have always wanted to go here, and I am so glad that we went. We went to ROCK BEACH and it was awesome! The water was colder, but felt so good. It was deeper and just as clear as the water we had been in the days before. There a lot of people there, but everyone was so friendly, and the kids of course had a blast just being in the water. Today was pretty much "Dawson's day" because he spent the day climbing rocks and cliffs and jumping the river, and swinging off of rope swings. There was a teenage couple that was helping all the younger kids climb safely to where they needed to be so they could jump, and I wish I would have told them how thankful I was for them, and how great it was to see them being so helpful. The girl helped Dawson so much, and she never took her eye off of him while he was trying to climb the side of the cliffs. Though he is still sore from such a workout, I think he had the time of his life.






















Sunday, May 22nd- Today was the end of our mini vacation. We packed up, loaded up, and headed out. A 5 hour ride turned in to 10 and half hours because we got sidetracked and went to San Marcos and went to the outlet malls. We will be going back there!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment